When you’re at home in lockdown (and hopefully safe!), thinking about food becomes a full-time occupation. Whether it’s how to get a hold of it (the elusive Ocado slot, braving the supermarket, or scouring the cornerstore), planning what to eat for the day, baking or thinking of ways to get by with what you have, it’s all-consuming. We’ve pulled together our staple must-haves. . .
Here’s our top-list of store cupboard / long-life fridge / freezer essentials. They are great to have on hand so you can always whip something tasty up. . .
1. OLIVE OIL
2. DIJON MUSTARD
3. BALSAMIC VINEGAR
5. HORSERADISH (adds serious punch)
6. DRIED BEANS (black beans, chick peas, cannellini, etc). Dried beans taste a million times better than tinned, AND they are much lower in histamines. Just soak overnight in plenty of water with a tsp of baking soda.
8. Waitrose Frozen Cooks’ Ingredients (chopped garlic, chopped shallots, diced onions, parsley, basil, wild mushrooms, ginger, chopped spinach). These last for months and will add flavour to just about anything– a life saver when you can’t source fresh herbs, etc!
9. LENTILS (Puy lentils are our fav).
11. CARROTS (these seem to last forever in the fridge)
12. TINNED PLUM TOMATOES
13. VEGETABLE STOCK (Marigold bouillon 💛)
14. FROZEN PEAS
15. PASTA (truth be told we rarely eat it but always comforting!)
See right for some recipes!
by Erin Moroney